Our home is in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. If you'd like to join us, please feel welcome to contact us and then drop by any rehearsal at Killarney Secondary School, 6454 Killarney Street, Vancouver, BC, V5S 2X7, Room 122.
If you'd like to do some reading, please check out the BC Band Association webpage. There are a few newsletters there and we have a write up in the Winter 2011 edition (Thanks to Tom Angelus).
Please check the Calendar page for a full list of rehearsal, and performance, dates.
All players are asked to arrive between 7 and 7:20 PM so that we can be seated and warmed up ready to start promptly at 7:30 PM. As you're no doubt aware, late arrivals can be quite disruptive.
About the Band
From its earliest beginnings about 1968 as the Ambassadors of Sound the band has been about making music. Formed by alumni of the Kerrisdale Kiwanis Boys' and Girls' Band, and after a number of changes in location and name (most recently the West Point Grey Community Concert Band), the band is now called the Vancouver Concert Band and has members ranging in age from the teens to over 80. As of August 23, 2011, the Vancouver Concert Band is now a BC registered Non-profit Society. The main reason for getting this status is that many establishments require us to be a formal society in order to get lowered rental rates.
We are first and foremost a Community band. All players are welcome regardless of age or ability. There are no auditions - just show up and play!
We play concert band music of all types including some of the traditional marches. Recently we've rehearsed works by Mozart, Stamitz, Holst, the Beatles, Glen Miller, Harry James, and Hoagy Carmichael, to name but a few.
The band rehearses every Wednesday evening (except in July and August) from 7:30p to 9:30p and performs a number of times during the year. The conductor is Vancouver's own Frank Ludwig, well-known performer, composer, and (retired) school teacher.
New Members: While new members are welcome any time without audition, please email the band before hand so we can arrange music, chairs, seating, etc., and also to ensure that we are actually rehearsing on the day you plan to arrive (we sometimes have to skip a week, or might be recording or out at a concert).
As a member of the Vancouver Concert Band Society, you are asked to participate in ensuring that the group survives by:
- Paying annual membership dues. Fees may be paid annually, semi-annually, quarterly or even monthly. These dues are needed to cover operational and equipment costs, such as rent, fees, food, etc. If your finances are low, speak to the Treasurer and dues will be waived until such time as you are able to contribute. This will be kept confidential.
- Attending rehearsals on a regular basis. If you have to be away, please inform the conductor or your section leader. Concert attendance is especially important - the group depends on you. If you have any suggestions or ideas on how to make our group more successful and happy, feel free to speak to anyone on the executive.
- Arriving before the downbeat in order to avoid lateness!
- Ensuring that your folder and music lent to you is well cared for and returned promptly in good condition. If you have problems with parts please consult with the librarian.
- Participating in the meetings of the society as needed (we keep them to as few as possible!)
For Band Members
Please let Frank know if you need parts for the next rehearsal. Deadline is Friday the weekend before rehearsal.
Please check that your folder is up to date by viewing the Library page